Men's Magic Shell Jacket - Gravel
“...so versatile it can replace several items in your wardrobe” - Bicycling Magazine / Gear of the year 2019
The Magic Shell is so much more than just a cycling rain jacket. We were the first to partner with Polartec® to use this uniquely breathable version of their NeoShell® fabric in a cycling jacket. What makes it "Magic"? It's so breathable that we use it as an everyday cycling jacket. In fact, when we were testing, it was so breathable that we questioned whether it was the correct waterproof fabric (it was), and after that, we were sold.
Riding in the rain sucks, and it sucks, even more, when you aren’t prepared. This jacket allows you always to be ready for that unlikely chance of rain. Made right here in California with bonded and taped seams, there is no other jacket like it. The soft, stretchy fabric allows you to wear it with layers or a jersey depending on the temperature. The rear pocket offers enough space for a phone and snacks. We recommend this jacket for temps from 55-32 degrees. Curious about the difference between our Magic Shell and Micro Climate Jackets? Check out our comparison here! ** FIT Note - The Gravel Magic Shell runs about a half-size small. If you're in between sizes, we suggest going up one size. The Morocco is true to size.
SHIPPING, EXCHANGES, AND RETURNS
· Most orders will ship within 48 hours from our warehouse located in South San Francisco. Need it quicker? Choose Fedex 2 day shipping at checkout. Orders are processed Monday - Friday during normal business hours.
· Free (and easy) exchanges, we want you in the correct size.
· 30-day return window.
1 YEAR WARRANTY
· Our clothing is made by hand and made to last. We stand by our construction and fabrics and offer a 1-year warranty against manufacturing defects. The most sustainable clothing is the kind that lasts many seasons. Need a repair? Questions? Email us, we’re pretty good at typing.
· Crash Replacement Assistance - We offer a discounted replacement if you happen to fall and destroy your clothing. (We recommend that you don’t use this)
WEAR IT ALL DAY, ORNOT
NEW FOR 2022
For 2022 we have evolved the award winning Magic Shell by adding bonded and taped seams. Previously overlock (stitched) seams were used to construct the jacket and while the fabric is waterproof, the seams and thread would allow some moisture to seep in during heavy and sustained rain.
The new construction has critical seams bonded (no thread) and then taped. this creates a smooth transition between panels to improve comfort where the seams touch you and improve water repellency. We're still not going to call it 100% waterproof, but it's in the 99% zone.
2-WAY YKK ZIP / PACKABLE / STRETCHY AND SOFT
WHAT YOU GET
• Extremely breathable microporous hydrophobic membrane.
• Perfect from 55 degrees to below freezing with appropriate layers.
• Stretchy and Quiet - Doesn't flap in the wind.
• PFAS Free DWR coating + bluesign®-approved fabric.
• 99% windproof and waterproof.
• Active air exchange: (.5cfm) significantly enhances breathability.
• Reflective detailing on front and back.
• Bonded and taped seams (new for 2022) / YKK 2-way double zipper / Made in California.
• Packs down to the size of a water bottle.
Claims of windproof, waterproof, and breathable are typically red flags and met with high levels of skepticism. This was our reaction and only after rigorous testing in which the materials demonstrated significantly better breathability than all other softshell materials did we make our final choice. Due diligence was performed in everything from California sun to California hail. Critical seams on this jacket are bonded and taped, and the main focus of this jacket weather resistant breathability for rides in storms that are not categorized by a number. However, if you find yourself out when the weather turns, this jacket will be your best friend.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Polartec® NeoShell® features a proprietary, patented construction process creating a new hydrophobiac, microporous membrane with a tightly controlled range of pore sizes. It has the durability and stretch of a polyurethane film plus the breathability of a microporous structure. This unique construction allows for positive air exchange to drive moisture vapor release while remaining completely waterproof. It does all of this at a fraction of the weight of current membrane technologies so a garment made of Neoshell is lighter, softer, and more supple.
WATER VAPOR FLUX
Dynamic breathability refers to the ability of a fabric to allow movement of body moisture vapor through it; the process is called diffusion. Breathability can be increased by air movement through or around the fabric; the process is called convection. To test for this, one must simulate this environment in a lab mimicking real world condition. The water vapor flux is measured in g/m2/24hours. Higher numbers mean a fabric is more breathable. Polartec Neoshell is 100% more breathable than the best waterproof breathable shells on the market in dynamic or active conditions. Additionally no perceived loss of warmth or windchill is involved within this effect.